Thursday, March 13, 2008

GTA IV versus Iron Man

A very interesting article just surfaced over at Next Generation. According to the article, at least one analyst has proposed that the launch of GTA IV will eat into the ticket sales of the Iron Man movie when it opens a few days later.

Ostensibly, this is due to the fact that both products are targeting the same demographic: The young male gamer. And this would not be an isolated event, as earlier in September, Hollywood executives blamed the release of Halo 3 for poor ticket sales during that same period.

I guess one could probably see a correlation between the two, though not necessarily a causation. And it is not a stretch of the imagination that if a person is presented with two equally excellent choices that some would choose one over the other.

But let me tell you how this situation would affect me personally. And I think that it will... quite profoundly. Once GTA IV is released, I'm going to play the shit out of that game. And then when Iron Man opens, I'm going to take a break from my hours-long vigil and watch it. And then I'm going to go back and play some more GTA. And if Iron Man turns out to be as excellent as I hope it to be, I'll probably go and catch it again that same weekend. And maybe a third time.

Food, sleep and toilet breaks are not mandatory.

No comments: