Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Deadly Space...

...So deadly that my Xbox 360 nearly gave up the ghost. Again. With three flashing red lights. A quick reboot resolved the problem, but I'm now filled with trepidation that it may croak at any time.

The game that caused my console to shy away in fear is Dead Space. And having played about 3/4 through, I can't blame the poor thing. Playing the game was terrifying enough. Having to ingest and process it must have elicited some form of defensive response.

Terrifying as it may be, I am completely enjoying the game. And I'm glad to say that I'm near the end, which is great. I don't often complete the games I own because I do get bored with them fairly quickly. But Dead Space has really hit a sweet spot for me, with regards to compelling gameplay and game length. I think it'll probably clock in about 10-12 hours in total, and that's great. It means that I'm done in about a week if I play a little everyday.

The game has had it's scary moments, but the thing it does the best is building an atmosphere, a high tension environment, a mood.

The story has been really intriguing up til now. While one might argue that it is generic sci-fi fare, it has been wonderfully presented. I just hope that the ending holds up and keeps the momentum going. I guess I'll find out once I play till the end.

5 comments:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Are you playing Left 4 Dead yet?

Ken Lee said...

Not yet. I've been really keen on getting it. Hopefully that'll happen sooner rather than later.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I'm in the game as Shyue Chou.

Do add me. Let me know when you are in the game. I don't profess to be good. I have completed the four campaigns on normal and I am trying them on expert mode now.

Ken Lee said...

What's your Steam account name? I can't seem to find you on there.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

It's Shyue Chou or Meow 55