Thursday, June 07, 2007

Bad food

It is a rare occasion that I would not finish my food, even if it is only mediocre. And so if it happens that I do not finish a dish, I must really abhor it. And once I have tasted something that is extremely unagreeable, I lose my appetite and I feel the need to wash my mouth out. With soap.

This happened once before, when I had a Thai beef noodles at a food court in Vivocity. The broth was weak, and had a really odd after taste, and the accompanying beed was tough and tasteless. I didn't finish it. It was bad.

This happened again yesterday, when I had a pasta dish at Cedele in Wheelock Place. It was the strangest concoction I've had in a long while, and I barely ate 2 bites of it. I told the waiter to remove it from the table.

Normally, I'm fairly satisfied by the food at Cedele; They have excellent soups, cakes and bread. So yesterday's meal was a revelation, to say the least.

I had the Crab Lime Pasta, which I did not enjoy at all. The taste of lime was too overpowering, and completely masked any other potential flavours. And do you know that bitter taste when you bite into a seed of a citrus fruit? The dish had that same after-taste, and it was very strong. The only other flavour that was not masked was the chilli. And so the pasta I had was sour, bitter and spicy. To my palette, that was not a pleasurable combination at all.

On the postive side, the serving was quite generous, and there were a lot of chunks of crab. But I did not eat much of it.

And I have to note that the staff at Cedele are very good, and offered to exchange the pasta for something else on the menu for free. I declined, as I really did not have the mood for food. But I did accept their offer of a slice of chocolate cake. Service at Cedele is excellent.

No comments: