Saturday, June 30, 2007

My constant companion

It occurred to me that I have changed a few phones in my lifetime, and I thought it might just be nice to talk about them for a little while. Almost a walk down tech memory lane.

My first phone was the Nokia 3210, which I bought from the M1 shop at $280 together with a 2 year contract. This phone was bulky, heavy, and a piece of shit. But it was mine, and no one else's. It's almost like a first love, only it was really a compromise, and everyone just got together cos no one had any reason not to.

I next got myself a Nokia 8210. Well, it was given to me by my older sister, who had been given a new phone by her then boyfriend. I loved this one so much. My sister had it tweaked with blue LEDs so the screen gave off a really nice glow. And it was the smallest, lightest phone I have ever carried. I don't think any of my following phones could match this one in terms of form. However, this was sadly stolen from me in my bunk while I was still in National Service. Word of warning to future NS boys: Keep an eye out for your own belongings, kids!

Ah... The Nokia 8310. The slightly pudgy cousin of my previous phone. It's like the kind of girl that was kinda cute... but would look really hot if she shed a couple pounds; Dressing nice helped a little, but we all knew the score. The thickness of the phone was slightly more than the 8210, and the width slightly smaller. It just felt a little chubby in my hands, but hey... some people like that sort of thing. For me, it was a rebound phone, having just lost my 8210. You're cute... but really not what I'm looking for.

My next love was the Nokia 6610. I was pinning after this phone ever since it was first announced. This phone was also one of the first few with colour screens, which made it all the more attractive. But the fates kept us apart, and so I stood in silent admiration from a distance. It was really my wallet my prevented us from being together, that cold hearted bitch. I finally got together with the 6610 in 2004, when it was offered for $100 (with contract) by M1. Ah... This phone served me very well for the following 3 years, and I'm still currently using it (cos the next one is also a piece of shit).

Tempted by it's sleek design, and revolutionary metal casing, my sister bought this phone for me at $400. And that, for me, is akin to an expensive date with a stupid, air-headed slag. Aside from its good looks, there isn't much that I like about this phone. It was like a trophy phone... except everyone else had the same damn trophy. And using the damn thing got on my nerves so bad. The texting was a chore, transferring contacts from SIM to phone was confusing, bluetooth was a joke... I could go on. I sold this phone for $60 to a second-hand dealer... That's all you're worth, Moto. Be grateful.

3 comments:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

I used the 8210 for five years and didn't give a thought to changing! Can you believe it?

Ken Lee said...

I can believe it. The phone was awesome. My personal opinion is that no other phone has matched it in terms of balance between form and function.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Agreed! A classic in the making!