Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Beowulf

Did you know that Beowulf is an animated film? Meaning a cartoon? I sure didn't. Imagine my surprise as I sat there looking upon a screen full of animated characters. I honestly searched for my ticket stub to make sure I was sitting in the right cinema.

But I think it works, using animation to tell a fairly mature theme. This is not one for the kiddies, I can tell you that. By freeing the film from real-world physical limitations, this film is able to accomplish much more in portraying a fantastical world. And it helps the audience to effectively suspend disbelief, which in turn would draw oneself further into the story.

Another uncanny thing about the movie is how realistic everything looks. Aside from a few tell-tale signs of animated movement, one could almost swear that one was watching a live-action film. Each frame is shot beautifully, and the quality of the scenes and characters must be seen to be believed. Look upon the face of any character, and you'd be fooled into thinking it was the real actor. Hrothgar, portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, looks frighteningly real.

The film also has a good story in it, and one can draw immense pleasure in the way it is told. I can't say for sure how closely the movie mirrors the myth of Beowulf; I've read the myth once before, but I can't remember much aside from some character names. And I think there are holes in the plot, but this may be inherent in to myth proper.

There are a number of things that leave me scratching my head, such as why Grendel would suddenly and viciously and continously attack the great hall of the king after years of peace. And why does the hearth fire turn blue when he appears? And whether Beowulf's illegitimate son was really a dragon, I can't say.

But all in all, this film was very enjoyable. The music is done very well, and match the tempo of the film excellently. Some scenes were truly exhilarating, and especially so in the final action sequence. The well-portrayed characters, which were also ably voice-acted, make it easy to identify with them. And scenes are carefully created, and there aren't any throwaway scenes; everything moves the plot forward. I also thought that the film is very well-paced. And I would heartily recommend this film.

No comments: