Thursday, November 08, 2007

Obolo: Gourmet Cheesecakes - Patisseries - Desserts

Obolo: Gourmet Cheesecakes - Patisseries - Desserts

Audrea and I were walking along Joo Chiat Road just a few evenings ago, on our way to Parkway Parade. We were just strolling along, taking in the sights of the old town when we stumbled upon Obolo. It looked real nice from the outside, and wanting to take a break, decided to enter and sample their delights.

Anyone who knows me know I like a good cake, and I've been on a cake kick recently. I've tried a few places, like Canele, and Nectarie. And I always buy a few slices to share with the family. I'm a firm believer that you ought to get what you pay for, and good quality food comes at a price. And if an item is particularly well-made, then the cost is well deserved.

With that in mind, we decided to give Obolo a try, to see if their offerings justified their price, and if their products were up to par. And in this regard, I can give them a very well deserved, very firm "Meh".

Audrea and I settled down to a slice of their dark chocolate cake and were not overwhelmed at all. The cake had a very nice texture to it: crispy base, walnuts, dark chocolate mousse and dark chocolate sauce. But the flavour was a little bland, and far too milky and creamy, even for me; And God knows I like my cream. For a dark chocolate cake, there really wasn't much dark chocolate in it. Too sweet, too creamy, too milky, no bittersweet taste of a fine dark chocolate.

I took a number of other pieces home to sample: Tiramisu, Dome Exotique, Valencia, New York Cheesecake, and Strawberry Cream Cheesecake.

The Tiramisu, Valencia (chocolate mousse cake layered with orange creme), and the Strawberry Cream also weren't overwhelming, and not what I would expect at this price. And if I may say so, I felt that the cakes were fairly pedestrian, not outstanding at all.

But I did like the New York Cheesecake and Dome Exotique very much though. The New York Cheesecake was very rich, creamy and flavorful without being overly cloying. And the Dome Exotique was very very nice indeed. Consisting of a mango mousse, with a slight crisp outer shell, and a mango gelatine inside and dashed with rum on a biscuit base, the Exotique was an excellent balance of flavour and texture and flavour once again. The cake even just looks delicious.

So would I recommend this place? In a manner of speaking, yes. The cakes aren't terrible by any measure, and you could do far worse than Obolo. There are a couple of gems on their menu, and there are a number of things that are I'm tempted to try. They have another Dome cake which looks very good, as does a few of their other desserts (eg. their fruit tarts, and the Summer Berry Tiramisu). So I would probably give it a second shot. But if I'm not impressed on the second try, then I would say there's no real loss to you if you gave it a miss.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dude, what does "MEH" mean? lol actually, if the cake isn't that fantastic, u reckon u shud give it a second chance?

Ken Lee said...

"Meh" is a sort of a non-committal grunt. So it's neither good nor bad.

The cakes that I tried weren't all bad, weren't all good. But they had a number of other desserts that looked real good which I didn't try. So I figure I ought to try those out first before I give a verdict.

But there's no real sense of urgency to go for that second shot, however.