Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Webster's Word of the Year 2007

We all know Merriam-Webster, right? They occasionally publish dictionaries? Well, they recently had an online poll asking users which one word best describes Year 2007.

We've got a winner, ladies and gentlemen, and the 2007 Word of the Year is:

1. w00t (interjection)
expressing joy (it could be after a triumph, or for no reason at all); similar in use to the word "yay". (E.g w00t! I won the contest!)

A round of applause to geeks/nerds around the world; more are being subverted to our ways. Now they use our vocablulary, and soon they will all bow down to us.

But honestly... unless you're using "w00t" in the ironic sense, you really shouldn't. And if you think that "l33t" speak is still cool, you probably should be stabbed... multiple times.

PS. I liked "Blamestorm" myself. It means, amongst other things: a meeting in which mistakes are aired, fingers are pointed and much discomfort is had by all

2 comments:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

An off-topic comment. May I know if you are playing Hellgate London?

Ken Lee said...

I've been thinking about it, and have been very tempted. Diablo meets Sci-Fi is something I can really get behind.

But every time I've suggested it, I've been advised not to, due to the game either being too repetitive, or too buggy, or just un-refined.

I hear that the patches inproves things alot, although for some reason, the local servers aren't the same version as those in the States.