Monday, February 19, 2007

Chinese New Year

I've always enjoyed the Chinese New Year period. There's something about it that appeals to me alot more than either Christmas, or regular New Year's.

I guess a part of it is that it speaks directly to my Chinese heritage. I find the traditions and practices to be more meaningful. I enjoy meeting with family, going on home visits, wishing everyone a happy new year, waking up for breakfast with the family on the first day.

A typical day would involve us meeting at a relative's home, with multiple aunts and uncles, and having a meal. And then later in the day, all of us would meet at my place, have a meal... and then rotate amongst all the homes of the gathered relatives for the next couple days.

There's always alot of cheer at these gatherings, and we're always exchanging jokes, having many kinds of food, and playing games/mahjong. There's always a feeling of strong family bonding at these gatherings, and I guess that's one aspect that I enjoy alot.

Of course, it helps that each New Year brings along a whole slew of edible goodies. Aside from the typical pineapple tarts and the like, there are a number of dishes that my mother would not make any other time of the year.

Each Chinese New Year signifies a new beginning, coupled with constant feasting, family gatherings, red packets and gambling. It's awesome.

No comments: