Sunday, January 27, 2008

It's cold out there

I've never been to a place quite so cold before. This has been, and continues to be, an eye opening experience. I'm currently sitting in my room in Shanghai, overlooking the Huangpu River, typing on the computer which came with the room. The tv is turned on to HBO, I'm dressed in sweats, and it's near time to sleep. I've had a long tiring evening walking about Nanjing Road.

It snowed earlier this afternoon as I stepped out of the airport; I have never seen something so delicate and so annoying at the same time. I've been dressed in 4-5 layers each time I walk outdoors, with gloves on my hands and a beanie on my head. I've felt my nostrils freeze over, and my fingers grow numb from the chill. But it was far far colder back in Beijing.

I had an interesting dinner tonight. My colleague and I walked to Huanghe Road which apparently known as a food street. We ordered a claypot chicken stew, which comes heaped with chicken chunks and veges in a thick sauce. And to accompany the stew, we can pick up all sort of raw veges, noodles and random food bits which you then dump into the stew to cook, like some sort of funny steamboat. It was a good good way to fill the stomach on a cold cold night.

No comments: