Sunday, March 18, 2007

Silent War

Silent War is a single-player boardgame, published by Compass Games in 2005. The game simulates the submarine war of the US against Imperial Japan, with various scenarios depicting different stages of the war.

It's a game that I have been contemplating on purchasing for many months now, and I think I may just finally bite the bullet. And why is that? There are 3 factors.

1) Premise. I enjoy anything that is related to submarines. I enjoy reading about them, watching movies that revolve around them, and playing games based on them. My favourite movie of all time is The Hunt for Red October. I have pictorials of submarines in my personal library. I have a few computer games that simulate operating submarines. Submarines are one of my most favourite things in the world.

2) Single-player. The thought of a single player boardgame appeals to me. Now that may sound a little odd, considering how I've always purported that boardgames are a social activity. But there are times when I'm really keen on playing boardgames when no one else is able to. I also think that a single-player game offers quite a different experience that I may find myself enjoying. That thought, of playing alone, appeals to me. I never had problems doing things by myself, and playing alone does not put me off. I have been looking into single-player games for a long while now, and I even bought Ambush, a solitaire game based on tactical squads in WWII. I never got around learning the game, but that's cos the premise didn't interest me as much.

3) Shipping. It's awfully expensive to get the game shipped to Singapore. It's a small publisher, and shipping costs are prohibitive. Other discount online stores are either out of stock, or real pricey on the shipping too. But I have a colleague who will be going to New York in a month, and I think I can get the game shipped to an address that she can pick it up from. And that has me severely tempted.

No comments: