Saturday, November 11, 2006

At BGG.Con... Day 1

The con started early yesterday morning, with the rooms being opened at 9am. I didn't get there til about 10.30am because I was still suffering a little from jetlag, and wanted to lay down a little longer. And the con didn't officially start til noon, and we didn't get registered til then.

I first played Imperial, a new Essen release, with my room mate, and a couple others. Ted Alspach taught and played in the game in us. And we got a chance to use his "Starting Player" deck of cards to determine the first player. I'm gonna get me a copy of that.

I next managed to sit down to a game of Leonardo Da Vinci, and Scott Nicholson was there too. So that was a great way to start the day, playing games with 2 boardgame notables. An interesting game, Leonardo Da Vinci has a unique resource gathering mechanic which affects the flow of the game.

I walked around the room a little while after that, and was invited to play a game of Pizza Box Football with another person. Though I didn't know much about football (American, not soccer), I wanted to give it a shot, and it's a really fun game. If anyone is interested in football, you really should try it out.

This took up more than half the day, and by the time I was done, it was dinner time. I grabbed a quick bite at the food court downstairs which served servicable food.

I tried to start a game of The Sceptor of Zavandor, but the game was in German and no one I asked seemed to know it. I put it back into the library and met a couple other players keen on starting a multiplayer game. So we brought out Formula De and had a 6 player game which was really fun... I came in at 3rd place.

Last game of the night was Railroad Tycoon, which was a fun game but it was a little difficult to wrap my head around. Plus it was late, and I really couldn't think much anymore. It was around 2am when we stopped.

A couple highlights and one lowlight of the day... At registration, everyone got 2 free games and I picked up Alhambra and Pieces of Eight. Aldie was there to meet and greet everyone and I chatted with him briefly. And thus lies the lowlight... I forgot to take my free games with me back to my hotel room so right now, it's either sitting there at the con or someone has picked up another free game. Sigh...

The other highlight was chatting with Derk at the end of the night. He recognised my name, as I had asked questions about the con earlier in the year. After finding out that I had travelled to the States just to be at the con, he gave me a free BGG t-shirt! Totally awesome!!

1 comment:

Phoeniix said...

Look at the bright side. The games might still be there and if its not, no worries as at least you are there a the con and getting to play new games and meet the people we've only seen (or at least for us here in sg) on BGG. Plus you got a tee too ;p