Monday, November 13, 2006

At BGG.Con... Day 4

This was the most relaxed day at the con for me... playing only a total of 2 games but I still had a great time browsing through the vendors, and also chatting with friends that I've made over the course of the last 3 days.

Twilight Games was having a bit of a clearout sale at their con store, and there were quite a number of tempting items there... Die Macher being one of them, and Viktory II being another. But in the end, I got a copy of the Age of Steam expansion designed by Ted Alspach. I also chatted briefly with Chad Ellis of Your Move Games.

Whilst in the general gaming area, I managed to locate Ted and I asked him to sign the AOS expansion for me because I wanted to make a gift of it. Mark! This one is for you...!

I also bought another 2 BGG t-shirts... one for myself, and one as a gift. Really tempted to also get some poker chips but I think I can survive without them.

I played a game of Bolide and that was quite interesting. I also played a game of Metro, which I liked very much.

I played 18 games over the whole con, but I made more friends than that. And this being my first time here in the States have more than exceeded my expectations. I've often heard unsavoury things about Americans. But having gamed with this bunch of people, I haven't met one bad one yet. Maybe it's just cos boardgamers are just generally really nice people. I could jump into any game, everyone was warm and welcoming. I guess that the way things are... boardgamers are just really cool people.

BGG.Con has been a really fun experience for me, and I don't regret coming at all. I had a blast and I wish it didn't have to end. Some people thought I was crazy to travel to the States to play boardgames, and sometimes I did wonder if it was worth the time and the cost. And it most definitely was. It was a crazy journey just getting here, and now I don't want to leave.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed visiting the US. Most everywhere, the "people" are friendly and nice - it's human nature. It's governments, power, and corruption at the top that do the bad (mostly).

Too bad about the Jesus thing too.

Have a safe trip home!

Ken Lee said...

The Jesus thing was awesome! I hope I didn't come off as negative or anything...

Ken Lee said...

And of course, I didn't mean that people generally weren't nice.

But even in a group as big as the one at the con, one was bound to meet a jerk or two.

I'm damn happy that I didn't meet a single one. Not one jerk amongst the 400 attendees of BGG.Con.

Anonymous said...

It was great to meet you, Ken... Hope you enjoy Pitchcar! I was shut out on the drawings, but had a blast regardless.

Phoeniix said...

Woot! An expansion for AoS! heheh thanks Ken.

Now to actually get down to playing it ;p

Friendless said...

Lucky lucky lucky bastard! It's my ambition to make it to SOG one day :-).