Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Boardgames today again.

So I went to the June Boardgames Meetup session today, which is held on every 1st tuesday of the month, at Settlers' Cafe. It's a very well-run session, with a good crowd, good selection of games, nice venue and free-flow of drinks. And I played a good collection of games today- Hansa, Roborally and Cartagena. Of these games, Hansa was new, I've played and enjoyed Roborally before, and Cartagena is one of my favourites. And anytime I get to learn a new game, I think it's a great day.

But as I look at what Boardgames Meetup has become, I can't help but feel a small pang of professional jealousy. I organise a seperate group that meets regularly on a monthly basis too, and I'm not trying to be just like Boardgames Meetup. But as I look at the constant stream of new people joining in each month, and the facilities provided, I can't help but feel that I ought to do more to boost my own SOG.

I don't wanna step on any toes, and Andy is a real nice fellow. And I know that he's genuinely just a gamer trying to get more people into the hobby. For that, I'm real proud to know him, and to be part of his group. I plan to continue actively supporting him whenever I can.

But I do wish that I can create a group that has as strong an identification and ties to SOG as some gamers have to Boardgames Meetup. And I know that I'm just starting out, and I need to keep working at this more. There's gotta be ways in which I can help improve SOG.

SOG and Boardgames Meetup aren't the same, and are not treading the same path. But looking at Andy and this group that he's overseen for so long now, it just shows me what can be achieved if I keep putting effort into it. I have to keep looking into ways I can help forward SOG and boardgaming in general.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey.. dun be discouraged.. i am sure more pple would join SOG.. and i am going to be a honorary member in ur club!

Ken Lee said...

Oh, no... I don't think discouraged is quite the feeling. I think it's more like... professional envy. Boardgames Meetup is just an illustration of what I can do if I keep at it.

And... urm... who are you?

Anonymous said...

urm!! its me lar!!

Phoeniix said...

mwahhahaha .... waiting for u to come back. Kept a spot for ya ;p

Anonymous said...

hooray hooray!

Hey ive got 1 more item to add to ken's list...

its HEAVEN CHOCOLATES! u know the heaven's ice cream that we used to stock up on? now they've got it in chocolate bars!! its so yummy.. its orgasms in the mouth!!

MMMmm...

Linchpin. said...

haha! what's SOG stand for? i'm SURE u can get ur games meet up to be just as professionally run if u have some organisational help!Really in these things, it just takes fellow enthusiasts who will be willing to take e lead in lending their resources instead of simply their time for instance. Takes time to build a great solid team of gamers too. First get the enthusiasts and then build it up!
cheers.

Ken Lee said...

Why... SOG stands for Singapore Open Gaming, of course! How could you not know something as simple as that!? Gasp!! Terrible. Tsk Tsk.

Friendless said...

Ken, it just takes time. Since Critical Mass started gaming in Brisbane has gone from strength to strength, and we are thinking of running our own convention at some stage. That would be very cool!

Ken Lee said...

Yea, I heard about that! A gaming convention in Brisbane, ConVic and the Albury expo going on smoothly. That's great to know.

And I know it'll take time for gaming to gain more prominence here in Singapore. But we've got our own boardgaming championship coming up in 2 weeks! So things are looking up!