Thursday, June 01, 2006

Schonell Theatre to close by 30 June 2006

It's a sad thing that my beloved Schonell Theatre has to close, due to the new VSU legislation. I don't know how this new legislation works exactly, but with no more compulsory financial contributions from students, the UQ Union is unable to support the costs of keeping the Schonell running. This will also affect a large number of student-run initiatives. I think my friends at the Semper may be out of a job soon.

But with the Schonell, I'm feeling the loss even more. The theatre has been with me through my years in Brisbane, always offering me a quiet place for me to enjoy quality movies and a place to hide from the rest of the world. The Schonell offered me solace. And I am diminished, and saddened, by the loss of it.

I remember catching my first ever show there, "Bowling for Columbine" with Robbie and Ahsan, my two housemates. I remember cycling there on a cool winter afternoon, and watching a show on my own. I remember going for a flurry of movies everyday during one semester break. The Schonell has become for me, and many other students I believe, a part of the UQ identity.

I've written to the Vice Chancellor and the UQ Union President regarding my disappointment about the issue. The replies I've received echo my own sentiment, and they too would not like to see the Schonell closed. However, they are unable to continue supporting it due to the drastic reduction in funds.

So I must say, without my usual tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, that the closure of the Schonell Theatre is a loss that I will feel very personally.

No comments: